For years, listening to fear was my safeguard against missteps and failures. What a comforting lie that was! While fear claimed to protect me, it was actually chaining me down.
I realised comfort had turned into my prison the day I got up in the middle of the night and heard a whisper saying the way I am now, I wouldn’t get anywhere in life. That was my wake-up call. The following day, wearing my business suit, I took the first step outside my comfort zone. I was terrified but thrilled as I looked forward to a new life.
How exactly does fear ruin lives? Fear is so powerful it wraps you in a cocoon of familiarity, urging you to stay still and convincing you that you are where you’re meant to be. It masquerades as practicality, masking your true potential beneath layers of self-doubt and excuses you may not even notice you’re thinking— that you can’t progress because of unfortunate circumstances, limited resources, missed opportunities, personal limitations or whatever reason there is. Finally, fear makes you complacent. It tricks you into thinking your current situation is ‘good enough’, so you no longer challenge yourself to grow to your fullest potential. This results in stagnation. And stagnation breeds destruction.
This all sounds bad. But how do you find the strength to leave your comfort zone? Find your motivation.
You must fully grasp that the regret of wasting your time, potential, and opportunities is far greater than the pain of failure. At 70, you don’t want to regret what you could’ve done and what you could’ve been in life. That’s some motivation if you ask me.
Does fear still control some areas of your life, or do you want to start something but fear won’t allow you? Your future self will thank you if you take the first step outside your comfort zone today. In this blog, as you embrace the discomfort, we’re here to help you grow and discover possibilities so you enjoy a life of happiness and abundance. Ready? Let’s dive right in!
#307: John & Mark Cronin | Building a Beautiful Community Through John’s Crazy Socks
Perfection doesn’t exist, and seeking it can hinder progress. Why is taking action and starting quickly important in business, rather than waiting for perfection?
These are what we discussed in this episode of Energetic Education:
- “We went the lean startup route. We didn’t do a lot of planning. We just said, let’s get something up quick and dirty, and people will let us know. So we built a website. We built it on the Shopify platform and got a little bit of inventory. We’re bootstrapping, right? So you got to make do with what you have.” — Mark Cronin.
- Focus on your abilities rather than limitations, and embrace the incredible opportunities.
- “There just aren’t enough opportunities for people with differing abilities. In the US. Only one in five people with a disability is employed. There are 20 million people who would like to be working that are ready, willing, and able to, so that’s the situation he’s facing. But John here is an entrepreneur. He is a natural entrepreneur.” — Mark Cronin.
- Once you start with conviction, it will manifest in everything you do.
Daily Mission Card
Breaking out of your comfort zone is an act of defiance against fear. It’s acknowledging that growth comes from discomfort and that the road to success is paved with challenges that push you beyond your limits.
So, how do you take that first crucial step? Here are five powerful ways to break out of your comfort zone:
- Embrace Change: Embracing change opens doors to new experiences and opportunities.
- Set Bold Goals: Ambitious goals force you to stretch and evolve.
- Embrace Failure: Failure isn’t the end; it’s a stepping stone to success. Learn from your failures, adapt, and keep moving forward.
- Seek Discomfort: Purposefully engage in activities that challenge you. Discomfort breeds progress.
- Take Action Today: Stop waiting for the ‘perfect’ moment. Take that first step towards change right now.
No matter how small it may seem, trying a new hobby is a great way to break out of your comfort zone. This week, we’ve randomly picked this Daily Mission Card to challenge you to try a new hobby with a friend or a loved one. This will make the experience less intimidating and the learning more enjoyable!
If you want more fun challenges like this, you can get this deck of 54 cards HERE.
Positive Reflection Battleships
I used to be someone who would shy away from both giving and receiving compliments. It wasn’t that I didn’t appreciate kind words. I just found myself stumbling over my words or feeling awkward. Maybe you can relate?
Thoughtful introspection and expressing admiration have the power to brighten someone’s day. But here’s the real magic— by gracefully accepting compliments, you’re allowing yourself to see your strengths through someone else’s eyes and vice versa. Giving compliments is like looking in a mirror that reflects back your best parts.
Positive Reflection Battleships is a game of appreciation with a twist! The player whose ship has been hit must compliment the attacker. Watch as your students, family or friends’ faces light with happiness. Don’t forget to graciously accept compliments when they come your way. Instead of deflecting them, say a simple “thank you” and let the positivity sink in.
Get this game! Download the PDF resources HERE.
Want a FREE funpack?
Enter your email HERE to receive it directly to your inbox.