The Science Behind Game-Based Learning: How Play Can Boost Learning and Memory
Children naturally enjoy playing games. From board games to video games, they love the thrill of competing and the excitement of problem-solving. However, games can also be used for more than just entertainment—they can be utilised as a tool for learning. This concept, game-based learning, is becoming increasingly popular in educational settings.
Game-based learning is a teaching method that involves using games to teach specific skills or concepts. It is often to make learning more engaging and interactive. Games can be designed to teach a wide range of topics, from math and science to social studies and language arts—the sky’s the limit.
What makes game-based learning so effective is due to these contributing factors:
- Engagement: Games are inherently engaging. They capture attention and motivate children to keep playing. When kids are engaged in a game, they are likely to be focused and attentive, which leads to better learning outcomes.
- Active Learning: Games require active participation. Unlike passive learning methods, such as watching a lecture or reading a textbook, games encourage children to actively engage with the material. This helps them retain information and make connections between different concepts more effectively.
- Feedback: Games provide immediate feedback. When children play a game, they receive feedback on their performance right away. This allows them to be creative and adjust strategies, improving their skills in real time.
- Personalisation: Games can be personalised to meet children’s learning needs. They can be designed to adapt to their skill level and provide targeted practice in areas where they need more help.
- Emotional Connection: Games can create an emotional connection to the material. When kids are emotionally invested in a game, they remember the information associated with it more thoroughly.
Game-based education boosts learning and memory. As it continues to grow, educators must embrace this innovative teaching approach to give children a fun and unique learning experience.
In Fitness Games Zone, you can leverage all types of games, from literacy and numeracy activities to story-based adventures and team challenges, brilliantly categorised into different ages, game lengths, and equipment to suit your needs.
Get started with active learning now. Try these super fun games.
Members either click the links above or sign up for your account HERE.
Suppose you still need to become a member and want to take advantage of the 900-plus activities, games, and 130 PD courses. Then, click HERE to get a FREE membership. The Fitness Games Zone is the ultimate platform for everything you need to make moving and learning fun.